start/stop script woes: ./squid.sh: Cannot determine the PREFIX

Andreas Klemm andreas at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 2 10:25:23 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:59:06PM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 06:49:41PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > Well, I think we should keep one scheme, not two.
> > Currently there exist two methods to prevent startup of
> > applications after reboot:
> > 	a) no execute bit
> > 	b) installed as xxx.sh.something
>
> Right.
>

> > Two are too much. I think the execute bit should be set and
> > scripts should be installed as xxx.sh.sample.
>

> I, also agree that 2 are too many. What I was saying is that I prefer a
> over b.

Supposed you put $PREFIX/etc/rc.d into root's search path
or if you are in the directory $PREFIX/etc/rc.d
then b) would have the advantage, that you can simply use
the start/stop script even if its disabled (by name xxx.sh.sample)
for the boot process.
	xxx.sh.sample (start|stop|restart)
would work for the first tests.
I think this is more comfortable without loosing the level of
control you want after having installed the application port freshly.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/