cvs commit: ports/graphics/netpbm Makefile (fwd)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Sep 2 09:33:27 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:43:01PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Sergey A. Osokin wrote:
>
> > Please tell me where is my fault.
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear.... I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I'm
> saying that the general attitude around here of, "I farted, so I better
> bump portrevision" is silly, and wasting a lot of people's time.

The rule is "when the package changes significantly".  Fixing a broken
pkg-plist is significant, because the unfixed port will leave cruft
behind on the system, which is unfriendly.

As always, you have the option of when to upgrade your ports.  If you
have your own criteria for what constitutes an important change, you
can rebuild your ports accordingly.  Indeed, blindly running
'portupgrade -a' is generally discouraged on several grounds.

Kris