Missing packages

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira lioux at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 27 04:34:34 PST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:24:40AM +0100, Koffie Yahoo wrote:

> >From: Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
> >
> >On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:06:10AM +0100, Koffie Yahoo wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> At least two of the packages from 5.1-RELEASE/i386 are missing from the
> >ftp
> >> server:
> >>
> >> category multimedia: win32-codecs-011002.2.0.90.p7
> >> category editors: xemacs-21.4.12
> >
> >win32-codecs may not be redistributed for license reasons.
>
> Shouldn't this be a reason to remove it from the ports collection?

	Not really. The ports collection does not exist exclusively
for the purpose of generating packages. With non-redistributable
licenses, it is still possible to build the port locally (i. e.,
in your own computer) even though you should not try to distribute
generate packages or anything. For example, jdk 1.4. Therefore, the
port exists to save anyone the time of figuring out how to build,
install, deinstall some port. :)

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
FreeBSD Committer | FreeBSD-KDE Core Team | CS Developer