Broken portstree?

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Fri Oct 24 17:15:06 PDT 2003

Adam Weinberger wrote:

>>>(10.24.2003 @ 1304 PST): Oliver Eikemeier said, in 1.2K: <<
>>
>>Newer *ever* set USE_* in /etc/make.conf or elsewhere. User settable options
>>are WITH_* and WITHOUT_*
>>
>>every port that has USE_* as an user-settable option should be
>>filed a bug report.
>>
>>>end of "Re: Broken portstree?" from Oliver Eikemeier <<
>

> I agree. I think that USE_ would have been better left for user-defines,
> but that's not how history panned out.
>
> USE_* should be reserved for ports to define, and ports should not have
> user-tunable options that begin with USE_ (or, in the ridiculous manner
> of q3server-ra3 and utserver-to, DONT_USE_). Port should have all
> user-definable settings as WITH_* and WITHOUT_*, and all ports that have
> USE_ should be changed. Ermmn, IMO that is.
>
> Here is a list of ports that have user-tunable options that begin with
> USE_. Note that this is a really quick and dirty list, and probably has
> errors.
>
> # Adam
>

> cad/gmsh
> 	USE_TRIANGLE
> cad/tochnog
> 	USE_THREADS
> chinese/libtabe
> 	USE_DB2
> chinese/xcin25
> 	USE_DB2
> comms/ltmdm
> 	USE_595_OBJ
> devel/pear-PEAR
> 	USE_PHPIZE
> editors/staroffice60
> 	USE_CDROM
> games/q3server-ra3
> 	DONT_USE_ZIP
> games/tome
> 	USE_XLIB
> games/utserver-to
> 	DONT_USE_ZIP
> 	DO_USE_WRKSUBDIR
> 	DO_USE_STRIP
> irc/ngircd
> 	USE_TCP_WRAPPERS
> japanese/skkinput3
> 	USE_SKK10
> japanese/zangband
> 	USE_Z_SCORES
> mail/anubis
> 	USE_OPENSSL
> 	USE_GNUTLS
> 	USE_PAM
> 	USE_TCP_WRAPPERS
> mail/mutt-devel
> 	USE_NCURSES
> 	USE_SLANG
> math/maxima
> 	USE_CMLCL
> 	USE_GCL
> 	USE_CLISP
> math/spooles
> 	USE_MPI
> 	USE_THREADS
> security/heimdal
> 	USE_XLIB
> security/isakmpd
> 	USE_KEYNOTE
> security/krb5
> 	USE_MIT_TARBALL
> www/interchange
> 	USE_THIS_PERL
> www/lynx-current
> 	USE_OPENSSL
> [...]

Hey, USE_OPENSSL is great, you can try it with every port. The same
is true for USE_MOTIF and USE_XPM. I especially like DO_USE_WRKSUBDIR,
second in my list is USE_THIS_PERL. DONT_USE_THAT_PERL! Third is
ifndef(DONT_USE_ZIP).

My list is even longer, using
  egrep -r '^[	 ]*\.[	 ]*(el)?if.*USE_' /usr/ports/[a-z]*

Ok, my preferred solution would be to feed this to portlint, hoping that
this usage becomes extinct. Or should we file some PRs?