Unification of distfiles

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Sun Oct 19 14:08:58 PDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 01:30:34PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> In FreeBSD land we have a main package build cluster that continually
> builds packages for all supported architectures and versions.  As a
> side-effect of the package builds we collect, verify and periodically
> update the distfiles on the master FreeBSD FTP site, and they are
> mirrored from there by the hierarchy of FTP mirror sites in the usual
> way.  From the point of view of the mirror operator this all happens
> automatically and they don't have to do anything special to deal with
> distfiles.

Assume the author of ImageMagick updates his tarball, but doesn't change
the name, so that there are two ImageMagick-5.2.9.tar.gz with distinct
sha1 checksums.

On OpenBSD mirrors, the old one stays available, under
sha1/<checksum>/ImageMagick-5.2.9.tar.gz

If I understand you correctly, your build/update cycle will overwrite
the old one. And users will have to update their ports tree to be able
to use the new tarball without a checksum error, since the old one is no
longer available.