ports that should use CONFLICTS

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Fri Oct 10 11:21:57 PDT 2003

Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:

> * Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com>:
>
> [Your mailer produces overly long lines. I fixed this in the quoted text.]
On purpose... It's essential for patches, and the list will look strange
if the lines are broken apart (yes, I know the MIME RFCs). Try to post
a MIME-encoded patch to GNATS...

> Allow a few remarks as an interested user.
Of course.

>>now that we have support for CONFLICTS checking, it is time to
>>actually use it.  I planned to make this my next mega-PR, but in the
>>current form it is to bulky.  Perhaps Kato-san will whip up a few
>>patches :-) The work isn't finished yet, but I thought it might be of
>>interest.
>
> CONFLICTS introduced an interesting breakage here when I wanted to
> install a package containings a CONFLICTS declaration with an
> out-of-date pkg_add.
>
> It seems that pkg_add should be tought to ignore unknown declarations in
> package files.
Yepp, we need a solution for that. In the meanwhile you can install
sysutils/pkg_install.

>>- news/tin conflicts with textproc/urlview
>> common files: bin/url_handler.sh
>> CONFLICTS= urlview-0.*
>
> tin's url_handler should be installed either as .sample or into a
> separate examples directory, IMHO. BTW, the last time I looked, both tin
> and mutt (and possibly other ports) installed a mbox(5) manpage. Maybe
> something to look after, too. Of course not a case for CONFLICTS.
It is, but only in the next version of the script.

>>- www/lynx-current conflicts with japanese/lynx,
>>japanese/lynx-current, www/lynx
>> common files: bin/lynx
>> CONFLICTS= ja-lynx-2.8.* lynx-2.8.4.1d
>
> I beg your pardon, but I do not think anyone will install these in
> parallel. This is probably true for every localized port or for ports
> that feature a modified version of some software which is - in its stock
> version - present in the ports collection too.
>
>>- www/squid24 conflicts with www/squid
>> common files: sbin/squid
>> CONFLICTS= squid-2.5_4
>
> Same here. But since squid-2.4 is not officially supported by the squid
> team anymore, I suggest to remove it completely.

Answered by Adam Weinberger.