Trashed my machine via ports

Jens Rehsack rehsack at liwing.de
Fri Oct 3 11:02:28 PDT 2003

Clint Olsen wrote:
> On Oct 03, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>
>>If you see at the rest of the thread (subject changed), he had neither
>>installed nor used portupgrade, so pkgdb -F is mandatory before he can
>>continue upgrading.
>

> I ran pkgdb -F and in most cases I chose the default answers (not knowing
> a better alternative).  It would be nice if the dependency "score"
> information was more clear.

This is usually not wrong, because in most cases you didn't had done
anything special which requires another interaction.

 > What exactly am I doing when I'm fixing a
> stale dependency?  What does "deleting" a dependency mean?

That means, that the information that a port (a) relies on another
port (b) is deleted.

> Now I'm in portupgrade, and it's just a ton of fun:
>
> # portupgrade -R -force gettext

Better: 'portupgrade -fvr gettext' :-)

Or in the case your ports tree is completely destroyed:
'portupgrade -fvar'.

> ..
> ..
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 253 packages
> found (-0 +1) . done]
> --->  Skipping 'converters/libiconv' (libiconv-1.7_1) which has already
> done
> ** The port directory for 'rce' does not exist.
> ** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:skipped /
> !:failed)
>         * converters/libiconv (libiconv-1.7_1)
>         ! rce (gettext-0.12.1)  (port directory error)
>
> I used -R for the upward recursion (fix all packages relying on gettext).

Upward is: all packages gettext relies on. See it as a graph (tree?)
where the ports without requirements are topmost.

> I also ran with the force switch because it bitched the first time it ran
> into a port that was already installed.
>
> Now, is rce a subdir in a particular package or what?  I'm scrolling up
> through the gobs of text right now to see what the hell this is all about.

You may use script(1) to capture the entire output and send it as
attachment. I don't know anything about a package named 'rce' and
'make search name="rce"' in /usr/ports didn't enlight me ;-)

> Are ports supposed to get this screwed up or did I just not maintain my
> ports area correctly?

I think a little bit of both, but nothing you can't fix with patience
and portupgrade :-)

> -Clint

Jens