Ports startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues)

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 30 07:45:30 PST 2003

Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> The reason I did this was to support services like mail and nss_ldap. I
> really like to be
> prefix safe, PR conf/56736 relates to this:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/56736>
>
> I agree that there should be a better solution, and already asked Mike
> Makonnen
> <mtm at identd.net> about it, but nobody seemed to care.
>
> IMHO not participating in rcorder(8) makes the packing list pettier and
> avoids an ugly hack,
> which is good, but restrains functionality. I like the idea of account
> managed in an
> centralized LDAP directory very much.
>
> So, do you still think the scripts should not participate in rcorder(8)?
> It's easy to
> change the ports, but this is probably not the right fix.
>
> -Oliver

I guess I don't see the problem.  What is wrong with ports adding
startup scripts to /etc/rc.d?  For certain ports, that is the only way
to get the startup dependencies right (like making sure openldap or
postgresql starts before your mail system).  This will become more
important as more of the base system moves to ports/packages.

Just refine the note in UPDATING to specifically state which startup
scripts to remove, rather than "rm -rf /etc/rc.d/*".

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com