listing the WITH_* variables for each package

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 16 09:40:11 PST 2003

One thing I always find annoying is the necessity to dig through the
Makefiles to look at all the WITH_* variables that are available when
compiling a port.  I think there are a couple easy options to do
something better here.

1. Have a suggestion in the porter's handbook to list them in pkg-descr.
  Along with each WITH variable would be a one line description.  This
would be very helpful and not much extra work.

2. Create another (optional) file such as pkg-options in each port.  It
would simply be a listing of the available WITH options and a one line
description.  Experimental or developer-only options could be left out
or marked differently.  This would also open additional automated build
possibilities such as doing test builds with all possible subsets of the
WITH variables (obviously this would be time consuming, but wouldn't
need to be done very often).

Either one of these methods could be incrementally implemented, and
would be optional (but recommended).  But it would be very helpful to
many users.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com