portrookies for early adopters

Tim Bishop tim-lists at bishnet.net
Sun Nov 16 03:54:44 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:19:19PM +0100, Patrick Atamaniuk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Oliver Eikemeier(eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com)@2003.11.15 12:54:55 +0000:
> [...]
> > cvs add `find <portname> -name CVS -prune -o -type f -print`
>
>  i am not sure if this works as it is meant to:
> cvs version 1.11.5
> cvs info says: [File: cvs.info,  Node: Adding files]
> ----- snip ---
> Unlike most other commands, the `add' command is not recursive.  You
> cannot even type `cvs add foo/bar'!  Instead, you have to
>
>      $ cd foo
>      $ cvs add bar
> ----- snip ---

You're right, it doesn't seem to:

tdb at inferno [~/test] % find foo -name CVS -prune -o -type f -print
foo/test
foo/bar/test
tdb at inferno [~/test] %

tdb at infnrno [~/test] % cvs add `find foo -name CVS -prune -o -type f -print`
cvs add: in directory foo:
cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first
tdb at inferno [~/test] %

However, if you do this it does:

tdb at inferno [~/test] % cvs add `find foo -name CVS -prune -o -type d -print`
Directory /tmp/cvsroot/test/foo added to the repository
Directory /tmp/cvsroot/test/foo/bar added to the repository
tdb at inferno [~/test] % cvs add `find foo -name CVS -prune -o -type f -print`
cvs add: scheduling file `foo/test' for addition
cvs add: scheduling file `foo/bar/test' for addition
cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add these files permanently
tdb at inferno [~/test] %

Which I guess makes sense because you need to add the directories first.

HTH,
Tim.

--
Tim Bishop