Upgrade to 2.2.8a from older 2.2.X breaks printing with XP

Clint Olsen clint at 0lsen.net
Thu May 29 00:36:15 PDT 2003

[This message has also been posted.]
Hi:

Due to some intermittent issues with file-sharing performance from FreeBSD
to XP, I decided to upgrade to the latest port in the FreeBSD collection.
The result is that my printing is completely busted, and I cannot get any
logging to tell me what is happening.  I've tried increasing the log level
in the smb.conf file to no avail.

Symptom:

Trying to reinstall a printer from scratch, the connection comes back on
Windows as a failure.  I noticed that a spawned smbd is running and
apparently hanging:

root     3988  0.0  3.3  4060 3112  ??  Is   12:22AM   0:00.01
/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D
clint    4032  0.0  3.4  4460 3236  ??  T    12:27AM   0:00.04
/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D

The process spawns every time I try to connect to a printer from windows.
I've searched through the docs on the Samba.org website.  Any additional
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Clint