Problem installing jdk13 on FreeBSD 4.8

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Wed May 28 01:59:49 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 16:46, Adam wrote:
> I've installed jdk plenty of times on both FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x, and I've
> NEVER seen this error before. Can someone explain what this error is
> telling me? 'Please see the documentation' isn't very helpful. It
> doesn't even tell you where in the documentation to look.

Got a private reply .. Thought I'd add it to the thread:

***
           From:
Jeff Gardner
<gardner at journey.com>
             To:
Adam
<blueeskimo at gmx.net>
Re: Problem
installing jdk13
on FreeBSD 4.8
           Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003
01:49:31 -0400

I am not subscribed to -ports but have found what is causing the problem
with jdk.

Doing:

galaxy# cd /var/db/pkg
galaxy# grep npapi.h */+CONTENTS

results in:

qt-3.1.2/+CONTENTS:include/npapi.h

Also, doing:

galaxy# locate npapi.h

results in:

/root/kdebase-3.1.1/nsplugins/sdk/npapi.h
/usr/X11R6/include/npapi.h
/usr/ports/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/ext/plugin/oji-plugin/src/motif/badapter/npapi.h

Then I looked more closely at +CONTENTS from qt and noticed it had
several more
.h files which will break jdk build.  My quick fix was copying the
versions
found bundled with jdk to /usr/X11R6/include (not the best way I know).
However, I did get a result of:

===>   Registering installation for jdk-1.3.1p8_2

and

galaxy# javavm -version
java version "1.3.1-p8"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.3.1-p8-root-030528-00:06)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1-p8-root-030528-00:06, green threads, nojit)

This was on a 4.8-STABLE box...

At anyrate either jdk13 is broken or qt is...  I think qt is because the
jdk13
had correct code in the .h files and the qt provided .h files were
stubs...

Jeff
***

--