My misunderstanding or error in porter's handbook?

Alexey Neyman alex.neyman at auriga.ru
Sat May 24 04:46:22 PDT 2003

Hi, there!

In the 4.4.7.2 subchapter (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/
books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html) there is an advanced
example on file grouping. I examined it and was unable to understand
why the last file in the list (file6) has such list of locations to be
fetched from: this file belongs to group7 and thus has no corresponding
entry in MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR. Why "directory-one" gets substituted into
%SUBDIR%?

I tried to insert this snippet in a sample port Makefile. First of all,
it produces warnings:

bash-2.05b# make fetch-list > fetchlist
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2019: warning: duplicate script for target "master-sites-DEFAULT" ignored
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2019: warning: duplicate script for target "master-sites-DEFAULT" ignored

Below is the fetch-list output (stripped of "/usr/bin/env
/usr/bin/fetch -ARr", MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE not defined):

file1:
http://site1/directory-trial:1/file1
http://site1/directory-one/file1
http://site1/directory/file1
http://site2/file1
http://site7/file1
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file1

file2:
http://site1/directory-trial:1/file2
http://site1/directory-one/file2
http://site1/directory/file2
http://site2/file2
http://site7/file2
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file2

file3:
http://site3/file3
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file3

file4:
http://site4/file4
http://site5/file4
http://site6/file4
http://site7/file4
http://site8/directory-one/file4
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file4

file5:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file5

file6:
http://site8/file6
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file6

This confirms what I wrote above: %SUBDIR% for site8 is
substituted with an empty string. Addionally, that example
claims the exact ordering of the fetching, but note that
for file1 and file2 the order is just reversed. Time to
update the example?

Regards,
Alexey.

--