Apache Port Installation with others

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed May 21 08:20:52 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 09:43:43AM -0400, DAVID MARKLE wrote:

> I was hoping you all could help me answer a question.  I an trying to
> install Apache and several other ports that are hooked into Apache.  I
> have successfully installed them all from sources (with ./configure --
> params...)and it works fine, however, I'd prefer to use the ports tree
> They are as follows:
>
> Apache, Mod_SSL, Mod_Perl, and PHP)
> apache+mod_ssl-1.3.27+2.8.14  /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
> mod_perl-1.27_1               /usr/ports/www/mod_perl
> mod_php4-4.3.1                /usr/ports/www/mod_php4
>
> With the three above mentioned ports, where do I begin ???  Do I
> install Apache, then PHP or mod_perl ???  I have also noticed that some
> of the Makefiles have to be modified, (i.e. PHP Makefile needs modified
> to reflect "APACHE_PORT?=${PORTSDIR}/www/apache13-modssl" instead of
> just "apache13" (for adding support for modssl).  Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

First edit /etc/make.conf and add the line:

    APACHE_PORT =   ${PORTSDIR}/www/apache13-modssl

somewhere towards the end of that file.  You shouldn't need to edit
any of the Makefiles under /usr/ports.

Make sure that you remove from /usr/local any of the hand built
apache, PHP and mod_perl stuff you installed.  Or any libraries or
other stuff which those ports depend on which aren't installed from
ports already.  The ports Makefiles will check for the presence of
various files to work out if they need to install any dependency
packages, and having your hand-built files there already can lead to
confusion.

Make sure you've got an up-to-date copy of the ports tree and that the
INDEX has been freshly updated:

    # cd /usr/ports
    # make index

That will take some time... Once it's done, just build and install
the ports you require:

    # cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
    # make install
    # cd ../mod_perl
    # make install
    # cd ../mod_php4
    # make install

The order here doesn't really matter, but if you try and install
mod_perl or mod_php4 before apache, apache will be installed
automatically as a dependency, so take care not to try and install it
twice.

Edit the apache configuration file as desired
(/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf) and make sure the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh file exists and is executable (copy the
apache.sh-dist file if necessary) then fire up apache:

    # apachectl startssl

Check in /var/log/httpd-error.log if there are any problems.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way