Nevermind! WAS Re: xfce: missing dependency on xpm

Albert Kinderman albert.kinderman at csun.edu
Fri May 16 14:51:21 PDT 2003

Adam:

Sorry for the false alarm; it's another case of pilot error.   The
machine was previously built as a 4.x machine by someone else.  I took
over and upgraded to 5.0 using cvsup, make (buildworld, buildkernel,
installkernel, installworld) and portupgrade.   I didn't want X on it,
so I must have used pkg_delete on the X packages at some time.
/var/pkg/db does not list any X packages (except imake); however, it
appears from looking in /usr/X11R6 that XFree86 3.xx is still happily
sitting there.  Somehow, with whatever mixup created the situation, my
machine does not know that XF3 is installed and assumes 4 for the
version because I am running 5.0-current.  (Hey, I didn't even know XF3
was installed!)  When I went to build xfce, it found the xlibs from
XF3, but not xpm.

The reason I wanted to install xfce without X is that I installed vnc
so I could use the vnc server on my FreeBSD box and and a vnc client on
my MS Windows machine to run a desktop.  I then decided to use  xfce as
the desktop (window manager) for vnc.  So I went to the port and got
this confusing result.

Do you have any advice for how to clean up the XF3 that is there?  Can
I safely delete all over the place, or should I reinstall XF3 and then
pkg_delete again?

Sorry for the trouble,

Al

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 12:14 PM, Adam Weinberger wrote:

Albert Kinderman	        Systems and Operations Management
           California  State University Northridge