What is the best place to install additional icon sets?

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Fri May 9 01:41:07 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:20:15AM -0700, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> > > Setting USE_X_PREFIX effectively changes ${PREFIX} from "/usr/local" to
> > > "/usr/X11R6."
> >
> > Duh.  I was asking whether I should ulilize it or not.
> >
> >> end of "Re: What is the best place to install additional icon sets?" from Alexey Dokuchaev <<
>
> *sigh*
>
> Are these icons useful in a non-X environment?

_That_ is precisely what we are discussing here.  Let me interrupt your
sighing for a second and quote David Johnson <david at usermode.org> who
responded with:

<quote author="david at usermode.org">
I think the best place for the icons is their "default" location, namely
${LOCALBASE}/share/icons/<icon_set_name>/. Why? Because there is an
effort underway to create standard locations for icons and other
desktop resources (www.freedesktop.org). The only reason GNOME icons
aren't there is because GNOME is installed to X11BASE instead of
LOCALBASE.

It's easy enough to find the icons if you're using GNOME, Windowmaker,
or something else.
</quote>

It is not all about whether something useful or not in non-X
environment.  There are other issues out there to consider; and yes, my
original intention was to put them under ${X11BASE}/share/<whatever>
(that is, DATADIR with USE_X_PREFIX).

./danfe