ports structure

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue May 6 19:47:51 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 08:28:06AM -0700 I heard the voice of
Kris Kennaway, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 12:05:04PM +0200, Oliver Breuninger wrote:
> >
> > with an amount of 8.500 ports and 60 categories, it
> > should be better to use a tree orientation then a
> > flat structure.
>
> There is broad agreement that a 3-level structure is necessary (and a

[ Speaking entirely from the peanut gallery, since I don't have the
requisite expertise or, at the moment, time ]

I disagree.  I think going further than we currently have means we need a
N-level structure.  Almost certainly one where N can differ in different
parts of the tree.  And possibly even one allowing mixing ports and
categories.

E.g., if [ABC...] are categories and [abc...] are ports:
ports/
  A/
    B/
        C/
            e/
        c/
        d/
    a/
    b/
  D/
  E/
 [...]

The latter, though, may founder on the shoals of usability within the
filesystem metaphor, or require more in the way of front-end
construction.  Ugly.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net