linux-flashplugin and flashpluginwrapper

Adam Weinberger adamw at freebsd.org
Sun May 4 10:45:56 PDT 2003

OK. I, like pat, could not get flash running, for the life of me.
However, by following these steps, I WAS able to get flash working
perfectly from within mozilla.

STEP 1: REMOVE THE CRUFT
The 2 reasons mozilla flash-ness breaks are: old libraries are in the
way, and you have to edit /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla every time you
reinstall it.

Remove all flash-based ports. I had to deinstall
flashplugin-mozilla-devel, flashpluginwrapper, linux-flashplugin, and
linux-flashplugin6. Start clean. Your gums will thank you.

Next, go into /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/ and remove all the flash
stuff that's in there. I removed libflashplayer*.so and
ShockwaveFlash.class.

STEP 2: INSTALL
cd /usr/ports/www/flashpluginwrapper && make install

STEP 3: FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ;;)
cp /usr/local/lib/flash/libflashplayer.so /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer_linux.so
cp /usr/local/lib/flash/ShockwaveFlash.class /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/
vim /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla

Do what it says... add:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libflashplayer.so.1
    export LD_PRELOAD
to the top, under #!/bin/sh

I followed these steps, and am now watching crap on that bastion against
maturity: homestarrunner.com.

I'm going to unmark www/linux-flashplugin as BROKEN, but I think an
addition is warranted to the end of
www/flashpluginwrapper/files/pkg-message.in:

If you're unable to get see flash animations, uninstall all your flash
ports, clean flash out of /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins, reinstall
flashpluginwrapper, and recopy/re-edit the libraries and mozilla startup
script as shown above.

Nork, what are your thoughts on this?

# Adam

- --
Adam Weinberger
vectors.cx	>>	adam at vectors.cx
FreeBSD.org	<<	adamw at FreeBSD.ORG
#vim:set ts=8: 8-char tabs prevent tooth decay.