file2port search

Josef El-Rayes j.el-rayes at daemon.li
Thu May 1 05:30:34 PDT 2003

> > i was wondering whether there is a more convienient way to resolve a
> > file<->port search, than doing something like this

> You meen something like portupgrade's pkg_which?

from man pkg_which
--%<--
Inquire which package file came from.  If the file is not
present, pkg_which calls which(1) to search PATH for the
file.
--%<--

i am rather looking for something that helps me find files i do _not_ have
already installed. i remember Debian Linux having a package search[1]
which is very helpful when you need to install a certain file and don't know
what has to be installed.

-josef

[1] http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

--