Ports that don't run on !i386

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jun 25 18:13:32 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:07:50PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > .if ${ARCH} == "alpha"
> > BROKEN="Does not compile on alpha"
> > .endif
> -snip-
>
> I'm talking about ports that will successfully build but not *run*.
> I.e. the program crashes on start-up or quickly thereafter.  Obviously,
> bento does not catch this.

OK, then NOT_FOR_ARCHES is appropriate, since if it's just BROKEN then
the package will still be created and distributed.

Actually, one downside to using NOT_FOR_ARCHS is that you can't
control the IGNORE message, so you can't explain the problem to the
user.  It might be a good idea to add a variable like
IGNORE_MSG_<arch> to allow people to document the nature of the
problem on different architectures (there might be a cleaner way to do
this without adding new variables).

Also, as Mark pointed out, we probably need to make the IGNOREd ports
more visible so that people stay aware of them.

Kris