LZW patent expired

Sun Jun 22 11:48:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:06:44 +0200
Matthias Andree <ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> I don't care about software patents _YET_, so why bother. The patent
> cannot possibly have been issued under the German Patent Act. If it was,
> the patent is unlawful.

But as long as it is listed as a patent they can sue you if you use it
and you have to pay a lawyer, regardless of the unlawfulness of the
patent.

> However, the EU parliament schedules on epatents have been advanced to
> June 30 now, original plannings have been for September according to
> Heise (referring to FFII).

And according to a patent lawyer it's very likely that this bullshit
will pass the parliament. Hopefully he's wrong.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              To boldly go where I surely don't belong.