config.guess (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/audio/libmikmod/files patch-config.sub)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Jun 19 14:46:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 03:58:09PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > Peter had suggested making ports use a global config.sub so we don't
> > have to patch hundreds of ports to teach them about ia64, amd64 and
> > any other future processor architectures.  I think this would be
> > worthwhile pursuing - NetBSD or OpenBSD may have already done work in
> > this direction.
>
> OpenBSD has a CONFIG_GUESS_DIRS variable (defaults to WRKSRC).
> Before configure is run, global config.guess and config.sub files
> are copied to the designated directories.

What is the benefit of a global config.guess?

My instinct is that a global config.guess would cause problems with
some ports: I would expect that a lot of ports hack their configure
scripts in unmentionable ways that make this difficult.  What was
OpenBSD's experience in this regard?  Do the benefits outweigh the
pain?

Kris