Menudriven KDE metaport - Repost

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Jun 14 05:28:22 PDT 2003

On Saturday 14 June 2003 14:11, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> Le Sam 14 jui 03 à 12:58:49 +0200, Michael Nottebrock
> <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net>
>
>  écrivait :
> > Please comment on this and tell if you'd prefer it over the metaport as
> > it is now.
>
> I don't like menu-driven ports, I prefer ports with knobs to be defined
> in $LOCALBASE/etc/pkgtools.conf (or /etc/make.conf). The new lang/php4
> lets everybody choose what he likes, menu or knobs, and I think that
> it's the way to go.

This is exactly what this metaport does, too ("...and enables non-interactive
disabling of every optional KDE component via defining WITHOUT_<kdemodule>").

Let me take this opportunity to say that I would very much appreciate it if
people would actually _look_ at the port first, then comment on it, this
time.

> BTW, it would be fine to include misc/kde3-i18n in the KDE metaport,
> with something like textproc/aspell to pre-select a default language.

Really pre-selecting a language (i.e. that will be used right on the very
first startup) is a bit difficult to implement from a port (kpersonalizer
takes care of that). We could convert kde3-i18n into another menudriven port
(again with non-interactive knobs as an alternative of course) and then
depend on it from kde3, so people could select which languages are available.
I will look into that.

--
Michael Nottebrock   \         KDE on FreeBSD      \              ,ww
                      \             ---             \     ,wWWCybaWW_)