ghostscript commits (fix of back out request)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Jun 8 00:33:11 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 04:07:07PM +0900, KATO Tsuguru wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 20:42:54 -0700
> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > Why is cups required?  I'd prefer not to have ghostscript suck in this
> > package unless I need it.
>
> The primary reason why two ports should be merged is
> to avoid several issues caused by version skew of gs
> binary.
>
> I hear that gs 7.05 or older (cups-pstoraster is based
> on this version) cannot handle PDF generated by gs 7.06
> or newer properly. And then, current cups-pstoraster
> cannot process CJK PS/PDF at all since there was no valid
> way to support CJK fonts.

That's an argument that the patches should be merged into a single
codebase, but not that the cups code should be enabled by default for
all users.

> In the meantime, the only reason why two ports are
> separated is old scheme of configure script was too
> complicated to control LIB_DEPENDS.
>
> I suppose it should be reasonable choice for average
> users to enable CUPS driver support by default since
> there are plenty of other popular ports (GNOME, KDE,
> Samba, etc.) requires CUPS library by default.
> Minimalist users can build this port with, similar as
> existing net/samba port, adding WITHOUT_CUPS arguments.

I'm not happy with some of those other ports using CUPS by default,
either :-)

As far as I can tell, just having the package installed doesn't bring
any new features to the system unless you choose to configure your
system to use CUPS for printing instead of the default lpr.  As such,
I think it's something that should be off by default.

I recommend making !CUPS the default, and adding a WITH_CUPS knob, or
a ghostscript-gnu-cups slave port if necessary.

Kris