[kde-freebsd] Re: HEADS UP: Big change to x11/kde3 (Read carefully!)

Will Andrews will at csociety.org
Mon Jun 2 16:57:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:47:19PM -0400, Wesley Morgan wrote:
> Then I would prefer a solution that was more configurable than 'minimal
> KDE'. You have all the package names and your own set of variables in
> bsd.kde.mk. Simply create a variable for something like "KDE_PACKAGES" and
> default it to *all* packages. Those of us who don't want all can just put
> a list of them in pkgtools.conf or /etc/make.conf .. This would improve
> over the previous method as well. I'm no ports expert, but something
> similar to what the 'gnomeng' does with package dependencies.
>
> USE_GNOME=      gnomeprefix gnomehack gnomehier libwnck gnomedesktop
>
> Like that. At least, it seems like something similar would work here for
> KDE.

USE_GNOME isn't a user-adjustable variable.  It lists
dependencies of a port (that have to do with GNOME).  Sure, you
can specify WITHOUT_GNOME=<whatever> but if you don't
HAVE_GNOME=<dependencies> of a specific port you can't install it.

That aside...

What is the point of having a variable like this, when you can
just install what you want the first time around and let
portupgrade upgrade them for you?  It just adds needless
complexity to the KDE ports.

Regards,
--
wca