[kde-freebsd] Re: HEADS UP: Big change to x11/kde3 (Read carefully!)

Will Andrews will at csociety.org
Mon Jun 2 16:35:54 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 06:26:57PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 08:24:02PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > The latest update to x11/kde3 (the metaport for KDE) makes this port pull in
> > ALL modules of KDE by default. This means, if you have x11/kde3 installed and
>
> Kris Kennaway replied:
> > What is the motivation behind this?  I'm thinking in particular of
> > package users, who will now have no way to get a minimal kde install
> > without adding each individual package by hand.
>
> I'm going to weigh in with kris here as this seems to violate POLA.
> Perhaps a new meta-port kde3-full (or kde3-all|kde3-extended|kde-enhanced)
> should be created to hold the new stuff.

The problem is, everyone has their pet peeve about the meta-port:
they don't want one of {koffice,kdegames,kdeutils,kdepim,...}.
Our response to solve this is to make it depend on everything by
default.  Sure we could make a zillion more meta-ports but
there's really no good reason to.  There's always kdebase for
people that want a minimal install, and custom installs can be
done by adding the other parts the user wants.  Or just
everything with the meta-port.  The meta-port was *never* a
minimal install, by the way.  Not once in the 3-4 years I've been
maintaining the KDE ports was it ever.  In fact, up until 2.2 or
so, it WAS everything in KDE.  This restores that behavior, which
was changed for release engineering reasons only (re@ now uses
kdebase on disc1 releases).

Regards,
--