rc.conf variables required by ports

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Thu Jul 24 17:42:23 PDT 2003

Simon L. Nielsen wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> On 2003.07.24 15:34:15 -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> >     Installation of the Linux base system is finished. The Linux
> >     kernel mode, which must be enabled for Linux binaries to run, is
> >     now enabled. Linux mode can be enabled permanently with the
> >     linux_enable variable of rc.conf(5).
> >
> > Since it would be so trivial, is there a good reason why we don't
> > automate (echo "linux_enable=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf), and similar
> > additions from other ports? Checking a few other ports, none of them
> > that I found do this either...
> >
> > Maybe there's a general principle I'm missing... :-)
>
> "Don't mess with peoples config files without asking them" :-)

Agreed. :-)

> If just the port asks the user, I think it would be OK.  Unless
> somebody else thinks it is a bad idea, I would suggest making a patch
> and submitting it via a PR.

I'd certainly be OK with that. I don't think this is applicable for any
of my ports, but maybe, if there's consensus that this would be a Good
Thing(TM), I'll see what I can do about coming up with a consistent and
elegant approach that I can send to the affected maintainers.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon