FreeBSD Port: postgresql7-7.3.3

Gerard Samuel gsam at trini0.org
Thu Jul 24 10:24:19 PDT 2003

Im looking for some clarification.
I just upgraded from postgresql 7.2.3, and I previously had it installed
with Multibyte support.
That option isn't available in the Postgresql 7.3.3 port.
According to the Postgresql docs, Multibyte is set enabled by default.
Cool.
Im trying to have all my databases set to "UNICODE" encoding (like how
it was when I had 7.2.3 running)
So I ran initdb with the -E switch to UNICODE.
su -l pgsql -c initdb -E UNICODE

But the databases still have the SQL_ASCII encoding on them.
$ psql -l
       List of databases
   Name    | Owner | Encoding
-----------+-------+-----------
 template0 | pgsql | SQL_ASCII
 template1 | pgsql | SQL_ASCII
(2 rows)

But according to the docs, there may be some auto conversions from
SQL_ASCII to UNICODE
What I would like to know, is if this is true with the current
Postgresql 7.3.3 port?
So I don't have to worry about trying to get them to UNICODE, as it
seems like it cannot do so....

Thanks