port upgrading problems....

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jul 17 13:45:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:37:55 -0500, Jim Bryant <jbryant at democrats.com>
wrote:

> I am having a problem building the upgraded versions of XF86-4 and KDE
>
> The problem is that it sees my XF86-4.2.x files and says that 4.3.x is
> already installed.
>
> Same for the KDE-3.1.2 upgrade from KDE-3.0.x
>
> How can I force these builds to proceed, while retaining my current
> versions at least until I'm ready to install the new versions after they
> are built?

You should start to use portupgrade, which it can be install in the
sysutils/portupgrade. It's a great tool that will upgrade all the apps what
you have installed from the ports tree.

1) pkgdb -F (to fix stuff)
2) portupgrade -ra (upgrade all apps)

If you don't want the portupgrade, then you can use the FORCE_PKG_REGISTER
define. But, I think it's best to do pkg_delete (to uninstall) and install
the new X.

Cheers,
Mezz

--