make install fails

Dave Goode dave at davegoode.net
Sun Jul 13 14:01:28 PDT 2003

Chaps,

This is a general ports problem, not specific to any one port. I'm using
FreeBSD 4.6,2

Now, when I do either a portupgrade, or a make install, make *always* fails at
the same point with the same error message. It makes no difference whether
it's a fresh install or an upgrade.

Has something changed with the BSD Makefile? Here's an example (though it
affects everything, not just this example, and I can no longer install any
ports):

--->  Installing the new version via the port
===>  Installing for nmap-3.30
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if security/nmap already installed
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/nmap.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/nmap.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade3303.0
make reinstall
egrep: /var/db/pkg/nmap-3.00/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory
--->  Restoring the old version
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 401 packages
found (-0 +1) . done]
** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:skipped /
!:failed)
        ! security/nmap (nmap-3.00)     (install error)
dave#

I don't understand what's going on and I'd be very grateful for any help
anyone can give.

Dave
--
Dave Goode