versioned ports naming convention

Christian Kratzer ck at cksoft.de
Thu Jul 10 04:11:06 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just a quick question:
>
> When there are multiple versioned ports (like www/apache13
> and www/apache2) PORTNAME shouldn't be versioned (i.e. apache),
> that's how I understand the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook,
> 4.2.4 Package Naming Conventions:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#PORTING-PKGNAME>
>
> Examples are:
> mail/cyrus-imapd, mail/cyrus-imapd2 and mail/cyrus-imapd22
> security/cyrus-sasl and security/cyrus-sasl2
> mail/exim-old, mail/exim
> devel/autoconf, devel/autoconf213, devel/autoconf253, devel/autoconf257
> devel/automake, devel/automake14, devel/automake15, devel/automake17
>
> Now Christian Kratzer told me that this policy is about to change:
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/002646.html>

no policy change.  Just a practice that seems to be gaining popularity
in the ports tree.

The openldap ports were renamed with the introduction of the openldap21 port
in february.  Please see

	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=61638+0+archive/2003/freebsd-ports/20030302.freebsd-ports
	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=116796+0+archive/2003/freebsd-ports/20030302.freebsd-ports

> Did I misinterpret the porter's handbook or do I overlook the advantages
> of having versioned PORTNAMEs?

I too prefer the practice as promoted by the porters handbook.

Greetings
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH
Christian Kratzer,         Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen
Email: ck at cksoft.de
Phone: +49 7452 889-135    Open Software Solutions, Network Security
Fax:   +49 7452 889-136    FreeBSD spoken here!