versioned ports naming convention

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Thu Jul 10 03:54:01 PDT 2003

Hi all,

just a quick question:

When there are multiple versioned ports (like www/apache13
and www/apache2) PORTNAME shouldn't be versioned (i.e. apache),
that's how I understand the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook,
4.2.4 Package Naming Conventions:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#PORTING-PKGNAME>

Examples are:
mail/cyrus-imapd, mail/cyrus-imapd2 and mail/cyrus-imapd22
security/cyrus-sasl and security/cyrus-sasl2
mail/exim-old, mail/exim
devel/autoconf, devel/autoconf213, devel/autoconf253, devel/autoconf257
devel/automake, devel/automake14, devel/automake15, devel/automake17

Now Christian Kratzer told me that this policy is about to change:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/002646.html>

Did I misinterpret the porter's handbook or do I overlook the advantages
of having versioned PORTNAMEs?

Thanks for your insight
    Oliver