ld and libraries troubles (newbie).

lewiz purple at lewiz.info
Mon Jul 7 17:44:21 PDT 2003

Hi,

  I'm fairly new to porting (as you'll probably figure out with the body
of my question :) and am having a few troubles (I believe to be with
ld/ldconfig and search paths, etc.).

  I'm attempting to create a port for Dasher (a text-input solution),
which requires expat and libintl to configure/compile (in that order).
For some reason it does not find libexpat (ld: cannot find -lexpat),
which is available in /usr/local/lib.  I created a symlink to /usr/lib
and it worked, but then failed when make got to libintl.a (in
/usr/local).  I've done my best to read the Porter's Handbook
(especially the chapter on Dependencies) but this has been of little
help.  Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the
problem.