config.guess (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/audio/libmikmod/files patch-config.sub)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Jul 6 17:32:53 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:23:24AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> At Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:30:42 +0000 (UTC),
> Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > > I'm not sure whether we should import GNU stuff in ports tree or not.
> > > I'm building amd64 packages with my local $CONFIG_SUB_OVERRIDE patch.
> > > This is inspired from NetBSD's $CONFIG_SUB_OVERRIDE.  [...]
> >
> > Well, this is very similar to the CONFIG_GUESS_DIRS approach I
> > copied from OpenBSD.  From the porter's perspective, the only
> > difference is the name of the variable.
> >
> > > As we provide correct (hopefully :-)) $CPU-$VENDOR-$OS string in ports
> > > infrastracture, I'm using extremely simplified config.sub script.
> >
> > Yes, it may very well be possible to replace config.guess/config.sub
> > by extremely simplified scriptlets.
>
> I don't care what variable name is used.  :-)
> Only I worry is whether we should import GPL'ed stuff in ports tree.

Since we're not adding any new dependencies on GPL code, I don't think
it's an issue.

> > But none of these are due to config.* problems, are they?
>
> Yes, there are many ports which should be patched for amd64 other than
> config.* stuff.

FYI, an amd64 build is currently in progress on bento:

http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-5-failure.html
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-5-latest/

It's proceeding remarkably well so far, although there are a lot of
failures from ports requiring -fPIC.

Kris