FreeBSD Port: ymessenger-0.99.19.1,20020902; broken on 5.1-RELEASE

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Aug 28 09:27:26 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:50:54PM +0200, Volker Stolz wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:02:59PM +0200, Kuba Lida wrote:
> > The messenger does compile OK, but when trying to launch it, it looks like:
> > kuba at agma:~$ /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libglib12.so.3: Undefined symbol "getpwuid_r"
>
> Try: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc_r.so:/usr/lib/libc.so ymessenger
> (btw it doesn't compile, the pre-built binary is just extracted)

We need to commit something like this, because ymessenger is indeed
broken on 5.x systems (libglib built on 5.x uses the getpwuid_r symbol
which is not present in the libc.so.4 compat library used by
ymessenger).  The problem is that it is a dynamic binary and links
against third-party libraries that are not present in the compat4x
package, and there is no guarantee that this will ever work on non-4.x
systems.  Another alternative would be to get the ymessenger people to
link it statically against libglib and any other non-FreeBSD
libraries.

Kris