e2fsprogs 1.32 working partly - should this import?

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Aug 23 20:56:36 PDT 2003

strattbo at fsp1.physik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Thomas Stratmann) writes:

> I was a bit too quick with my posting from yesterday - I do not have
> gotten e2fsprogs version 1.32 working. But what I do have is this:
> I altered the e2fsprogs port directory to update to 1.32, and as far as
> I can see (I read the porters-handbook by now) it is a valid port.

portlint will check the obvious issues.

1.34 seems to be somewhat smoother on FreeBSD (less fussing with
Kerberos com/err related includes) and has some bug fixes over 1.32.

I tried the e2fsprogs port recently but it wasn't working properly and I
put it aside because it was not a priority item for me (at least I
decided it was in a shape that wouldn't allow submission at that
time). I haven't received much support from the e2fsprogs upstream yet,
but I've managed to get Tytso to accept a make -> $(MAKE) patch three
weeks ago so at least the Makefile will properly use gmake in 1.35, one
patch less that the FreeBSD port shall need in the future.

> fsck.ext2 works for me (and saved my life, now I can multiboot into my
> linux again). All other major tools from the package probably don't
> work. I only checked mke2fs, it is unable to get the device size
> probably (some wrong iocontrol?).

Are you using FreeBSD 5?

As to the device size issue, I surmise that issues started with the
4.8->5.1 upgrade for me. Might be a devfs side effect, I may be able to
see if e2fsprogs works on 4.8 though by nuking the swap partition.

> AFAIK, this is the same with the old (1.27) version of the port.
> The only difference: 1.27 couldn't check my filesystem due to
> 'unsupported extensions', which the new version seems to handle.

has_journal or needs_recovery (ext3), perhaps? :->

--
Matthias Andree