Bad X Port?

Jon Loeliger jdl at vivato.net
Wed Aug 20 21:50:39 PDT 2003

Hi folks,

So I finally bit the bullet and tried to upgrade
all my ports on a 4.8 box.  I started with a cvsup
of the entire ports tree (semi-regular basis),
and eventually got tricked into "portupgrade -a".
A "pkgdb -F" grumbles, but is otherwise "clean".
Well, it used to be.  My CPAN is ooky, at best.

Things die in various different places depending
on the phase of the moon, I think.

    - I rebuilt XFree86-4.  It was up and running
just fine before the portupgrade as well.  But after
the port upgrade, it displays the odd behavior of
working just fine in some mode like, 1600x1280 or so,
but the first key-press causes it to revert to an
odd mode where each pixel is displayed as a block of
about 10x10 pixels and each letter is about 1cm tall.
It also has that virtual screen effect going so that
it scrolls way past my physical screen.  No key press
ever works, but I can cut and mouse paste just fine.
I see a lot of VT_n error messages in the log file.

Yes, I've googled and searched the mail logs and the
advice I've found there says "Oh, just recompile the
XFree86-libraries and it'll all be wonderful again!"
Oh yeah.   I've built and rebuilt all sorts of combinations
of the libraries the servers, the clients, the base
port, the freetype2 and imake-4's, wrestled with the
lovely XDM, cvsup'ed with regularity and invariably
I get a XFree86 3.X server tossed into the mix for no
good reason somewhere.

How do I rip the XFree86 3.X crap off my ports collection
and never have it rebuilt again accidentally?  I mean,
I know how to type "rm" with impunity, but what's not
clear to me is where I cross over the 4.X <-> 3.X line
and pick up an old port or an old binary.  I've stepped
into the /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 (not -4) directory and
have made clean and deinstall repeatedly as needed.

There appears to be a "make install" driven config infinite
loop in the x11-servers/driglide port as well.  Works fine
by hand, but lives eternally if made from the parent port.

I am completely frustrated alternating between suddenly
having a 3.3.6 server in the mix and having any key press
change modes if it is a 4.3.0 server.

Any insight here for the weary?

    - The port of libgda builds just fine, but it
seems like it might not register the install properly.
Every "portupgrade -a" it goes through the rebuild of
that port, and several other ports are "held" due to
not having libgda installed properly. It's libgda-

    - Naturally, the program I want to run, gnucash,
causes the known world to be included in the build.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

I apologize for not including logs and such, but I
even resorted to a work address for lack of a working
machine.  Needless to say, this address isn't on the
ports list either.  Please keep me CC:'ed.

Thanks,
jdl