FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.90.0.110_2 and RealAudio doesn't find linux libm

Thomas E. Zander riggs at rrr.de
Thu Aug 14 09:28:02 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 13. Aug 2003, at 18:28 -0700, Stephen Casner wrote
according to [FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.90.0.110_2 and RealAudio doesn't find linux libm]:

> I have installed the subject mplayer port and the linux-realplayer port
> on FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE.  Trying to decode a .rm file using the RealAudio
> encoding results in the error message:
>
> Error: Shared object "libm.so.6" not found
>
> That file is present in /usr/compat/linux/lib/libm.so.6, but that
> directory is apparently not in the search path.  Adding that directory
> to LD_LIBRARY_PATH solves the problem, but it seems that might cause
> some the linux library to be selected by non-linux programs.

Yes, it's actually no good idea to permanently add the compat libdirs
to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, you must not try to mix linux and BSD
libraries, unless you write a wrapper for these situation like the
flashplugin in FreeBSD mozilla.

> This question was asked on the mplayer-users list where the answer
> suggested installing symlinks to the desired files, or to run ldconfig.

Hmm...ldconfig is just evil. If you add the linux compatibility libs to
the ldconfig path for your BSD build environment, you would again break
binary consistency.
I suppose symlinks don't hurt too bad if done correctly, but personally
I don't like it here.

I'd suggest the following: If adding /usr/compat/linux/lib to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH solves the problem for you but you don't want to define
it for your entire environment, why not just put in something like

alias mplayer env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/compat/linux/lib mplayer

in your shell startup file?

Riggs

--
- "[...] I talked to the computer at great length and
-- explained my view of the Universe to it" said Marvin.