[PYTHON-BINDINGS] compiling FreeBSD port with svn bindings

Garrett Rooney rooneg at electricjellyfish.net
Mon Aug 11 05:13:13 PDT 2003

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> "Daniel S. Haischt" <me at daniel.stefan.haischt.name> writes:
>

>>/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
>>
>>can you give me any pointers what is going wrong or how to
>>compile subversion with the --with-swig option set to yes?
>

> The swig-py bindings require APR threads, but on FreeBSD, APR disables
> threads by default.  You need to make sure APR is configured with the
> --enable-threads option.

Actually, gstein, jerenkrantz, and myself discussed this at OSCON, and
came up with a way to make it work without apr threads, something about
requiring us to pick up the python interpreter lock when entering
subversion code if we don't have threads turned on in apr (since all
subversion calls are potentially not thread safe in that case).

I don't think anyone has gotten around to implementing this, but it
seems like this problem can be made to go away in the near future.

-garrett