Ports scheduled for removal on Nov 7

Fri Aug 8 04:30:35 PDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:53:34 -0700
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> The following ports are scheduled for removal on November 7 if they
> are still broken at that time and no PRs have been submitted to fix

> databases/firebird	firebird-1.0.2	chris at aims.com.au
> databases/firebird-devel	firebird-1.0.r2	chris at aims.com.au

I've marked them FORBIDDEN because of an posting on bugtraq. I've talked
with the maintainer and he explained, that the developers focus on the
development of the next version and don't seem to be interested in
fixing this vulnerability.

The description of the bug can be found at
http://packetstormsecurity.nl/0305-exploits/dsr-adv001.txt. It's a
getenv() overflow, so you need an account on the machine. As long as you
are confident, that there's no possibility to exploit this flaw (e.g.
dedicated DBS machine with no local accounts), there's no problem.

Do we really need to remove it? If yes, is it ok to just print a big
warning instead of marking it as forbidden?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.