How to apply private patches to port?

Paul Chvostek paul+fbsd at it.ca
Mon Aug 4 10:10:56 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:51:54AM +0200, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> Is there some documentation about how to add private patches/hacks to a
> port?
> Just add a patch-a{something} to the files directory?

I'd recommend against local modification to the ports tree.  Remember
that if you add patches to the 'files' directory, they will magically
disappear the next time you do a `make update` in /usr/ports.

You can do a `make patch` in a port's directory, then go into the work
directory that's been created and apply your own patches manually.  I
suspect the best option would be to make YOUR OWN port that includes the
patches you want, and maintain it independently from the one in the
ports tree.  If your patch has widespread appeal, consider submitting it
to the Project.  Others may have better solutions.  ;)

> Also, where do i find all the possible options for the 'make' command (not
> 'man make', but things line 'CFLAGS=... make install')

You're probably looking for the stuff in `man make.conf`, but you should
be aware that the /etc/make.conf file only gets used by things that are
part of the FreeBSD source or ports.  Many of the variables described in
/etc/make.conf are widely accepted throughout the industry (CFLAGS, etc)
but the real answer to your question is that every Makefile has a set of
variables that can be set, and you have to read the Makefile to find out
what they are.

> Thanks for your help

Any time.  :)

--