Anyone got an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro working with XFree86?

Hendrik Scholz hscholz at raisdorf.net
Fri Aug 1 13:47:10 PDT 2003

Hi!

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:02:48 +0800
Shaun Dwyer <sdwyer at arach.net.au> wrote:

> Ive just upgraded my video card to a Radeon 9800 Pro. But it seems the
> ported version of Xfree86 does not have support for this card.

XFree 4.3.0 (which is in the ports) is too old to support the card.
The same goes for the 9200 which isn't explicitly supported but due
to the same design as the 8500 (iirc) can use the same driver.
When running a 9200 you can simply use it as a 8500 by adding
a "ChipID 0x4242" line to the driver section of your XF86Config.
I guess the same is appropriate (check Google for a valid ChipID!)
for your 9800.

> Ive seen that there is some new bits in the CVS tree for Xfree86 4.x
> that supports the Radeon 9800 (R350).

XFree 4.3.99.9 (latest snapshot) supports most new cards.

> Is there any chance of getting this into a port?

You can simply do 'make make patch' in
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-servers, then apply the upgrades
from the XFree86.org ftp server (4.3.99.9 bzipped patch) followed
by 'make' (and in case that works without patching :)) 'make install
clean'.
This might give you a 4.3.99.9 port.

Hendrik (still using a Matrox G450)

--
Hendrik Scholz - <hscholz at raisdorf.net> - http://raisdorf.net/

drag me, drop me - treat me like an object