No subject

Oleg Sharoiko os at rsu.ru
Wed Apr 30 05:22:29 PDT 2003

Hello!

I'd appreciate if someone clarify several issues concerning bsd.port.mk,
bsd.port.pre.mk/bsd.port.post.mk:

First of all, as far as I understand bsd.port.mk and
bsd.port.pre.mk+bsd.port.post.mk are two different ways of doing the same
things. If it is so, than what's the preferred method? I suppose it's
.pre+.post because it gives more flexibility. If this is true than shouldn't
the entire ports tree be moving towards using .pre+.post but not bsd.port.mk?

Second, it's possible to build some applications both as ports and as parts of
base system. Good example is OpenSSL. Such a possibility (of building it as
port or as part of base systems) brings up a problem of specifying dependency
in ports which depend on OpenSSL. There are currently two ways the port can
depend on OpenSSL:

1. The port may include bsd.port.mk and define USE_OPENSSL. In this case port
will be compiled only with OpenSSL in the base system.

2. The port may include bsd.port.pre.mk, bsd.port.post.mk and
security/openssl/bsd.openssl.mk. Such a combination allows for user to specify
which version of openssl is desired.

As for me the second way is far much better than the first one. I'd like to
know your opinions since some port maintainers disagree. They suggest
installing OpenSSL from ports overwriting the base installation. I don't think
that overwriting the base installation it the right thing.

Overall: are there any rules for defining dependencies which can be both the
part of base system or a port? Any port that depend on
openssl/openssh/sendmail/cvs/... should use similar mechanism. Have it been
worked out? Shouldn't bsd.openssl.mk be the way to go?

In case .pre + .post by some reasons isn't the right thing than bsd.port.mk
should definitely be fixed. It simply disallows the usage of openssl from
ports, what I think is wrong (as well as the overwriting the base installation
with openssl is).

Thank you for your attention.

p.s. We're not on the list, so please keep our emails in the To: or Cc:

--
Oleg Sharoiko.
Software and Network Engineer