ports/50802: Multi-fixes for news/straw.

Mezz bsdforums.org reigncracks at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:16:00 PDT 2003

First all, I am not try to be rude. But, this news/straw port is
one of most un-test that I have seen. This has to be fix or mark as
broke.

PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=50802

>1) *.png and straw.glade are installed in the wrong place. When I   install
>and I get the error about missing images too.

This still need to be fix.

>2) Failed to compile/install the languages (*.mo).

This still need to be fix.

>3) BUILD_DEPENDS?

Well, isn't it supposed to be RUN_DEPENDS instead BUILD_DEPENDS?

>4) WITH_DB3=yes, does this really work? It still install
>   db4-4.0.14_1,1 instead db3.

This still need to be fix and some change.

>5) pkg-plist error:
>===========================
># make deinstall
>===>  Deinstalling for straw-0.18.1
>pkg_delete: file '/usr/X11R6/share/straw' doesn't really exist
>pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory '/usr/X11R6/share/straw'
>pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package (perhaps the packing list is
>incorrectly specified?)
>===========================

This still need to be fix.

>6) When, I fix everything above and I get the seg core dump.

This has been fixed, thanks to Joe Marcus Clarke. The bug was in
the x11-toolkits/libgnomeui that caused the crash. But, the Straw
still doesn't work and function correct thought. Please note that,
I already tested on over four machines with FreeBSD 4.8, 5.0-
RELEASE and -CURRENT, so the Straw doesn't work on whole of those
machines.

There have two problems:

1) The Straw doesn't do the auto-update (poll) the RSS, because of
   the problem might be somewhere in the ADNS and py-adns. Here are
   error message:

=========================
% straw

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "src/lib/Main.py", line 98, in poll_network
File "src/lib/URLFetch.py", line 87, in poll
File "src/lib/LookupManager.py", line 50, in poll
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ADNS.py", line 48, in run
for q in self._s.completed(timeout):
adns.Error: (9, 'Bad file descriptor')
=========================

2) There's something wrong with py-xml that affect the problem on
   Straw. I am not sure if it's Straw or py-xml. When, I tried to
   add the RSS and I get the error following:

=========================
xmlreader.IncrementalParser.parse(self, source)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/xmlreader.py",
line 123, in parse
self.feed(buffer)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/expatreader.py",
line 211, in feed
self._err_handler.fatalError(exc)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/handler.py", line
38, in fatalError
raise exception
xml.sax._exceptions.SAXParseException: <unknown>:1:5: not well-formed
(invalid token)

Yes, I am dying to get Straw works. ;-)

Cheers,
Mezz