Loads of undefined reference to `pthread_foo`

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Apr 29 09:23:03 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 07:31, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2003-04-28 23:12:33 (-0400), Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 22:42, Philip Paeps wrote:
> > > Mmm, it seems as though www/mod_php4 isn't compiling.  It's giving the same
> > > errors as above.  From work/php4.3.1/config.log:
> > >
> > >     [...]
> > >     /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
> > >     [...]
> > >
> > > I'm trying to figure out where in the configure script best to add the
> > > -pthread bit.
> >
> > You shouldn't need to.  What does:
> >
> > xml2-config --libs
> >
> > report?  It should contain -pthread.
>
> That gives me:
>
>   (pub:/usr/ports/www/mod_php4)# xml2-config --libs
>   -L/usr/local/lib -lxml2 -lz -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -liconv -lm
>   -L/usr/local/lib
>
> For some reason, PHP doesn't seem to be picking it up though :-/

Yeah, I looked further at PHP's configure, and it explicitly filters out
-lc_r and -pthread.  I add a flag to libxml2 to build it without thread
support.  Rebuild libxml2 with -DLIBXML_WITHOUT_THREADS, and you should
be set with PHP.  I wonder if it would be okay to allow -pthread in
mod_php (of course, FreeBSD may prevent -pthread from being linked in to
the final mod_php .so).

Joe