Building ports in a chrooted tree

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Apr 22 09:43:43 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 10:58 am, Mike Patterson wrote:
> So, I assume that what I'll have to do is have a look at how
> /usr/src/release does it.  Is that the best way to proceed?

Probably the most complete way to start is to go to
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/, and look for the short
paragraph starting "Every port is built in its own chroot environment
( tarball for 4-stable|tarball for 5-current), starting with an empty
/usr/local and /usr/X11R6. The dependencies are installed as
packages just before the build."

It took me a little time starting with that to get a working jail going.
With some prodding, I could make a FAQ out of what I did and
let people hack away on it.  But even if not, that's where I'd
recommend you to start.

mcl