question about /usr/ports structure

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 22 00:40:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Tim Aslat wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm wondering if someone can enlighten me on the /usr/ports directory
> structure for development.  What I'm looking for is a place I can put
> ports I'm working on until they are ready for submission, without
> having them overwritten each time I cvsup my ports tree (daily cron job)

As a couple people already alluded to, you can store the ports directories
anywhere on your system. For example, ~/ports would be fine. As long as
you have all the files FOR the port in the working directory, it should
all work. The reason is that the port Makefile's include bsd.port.mk (or
pre. and post.), which means that the directory itself can be anywhere.

HTH,

Doug