Status of Libtool 1.4.x ?

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at ofw.fi
Sat Apr 12 13:20:47 PDT 2003

Hello

I was wondering what is the status of the libtool 1.4 port ? I recall
the the initial PR was submitted many months ago and with Libtool 1.4
having been released an entire YEAR ago, more and more programs now
depend on it. Due to this, many ports in the ports tree can no longer be
updated until the new Libtool goes in. I already recall someone was
complaining he was no longer able to update the ports he was maintaining
because of this and the CVS of my favourite game (games/quakeforge) has
long ago moved to libtool 1.4 too.

A quick search through the PR database shows that the libtool maintainer
was supposed to "look at it prior to 4.8-release" but now 4.8 is out and
I still see no working libtool 1.4 port. If so much testing is needed to
ensure the current ports don't break, isn't it possible to make the
libtool port work in the same way as multiple versions of automake and
autoconf do ? At least that's what Linux distribution vendors seem to do
and it seems to work well enough...

Sincerely,
--
Dan Naumov <dan.naumov [at] ofw.fi>