'gv' pretty well useless under KDE

Karel J. Bosschaart karelj at wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl
Fri Apr 11 08:25:35 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:54:43PM -0700, Mike O'Brien wrote:
> 	'gv', or perhaps its underlying GhostScript engine,
> seems to have a problem that surfaces when using it under KDE.
> It bombs out if the file path it's handed to interpret has
> directories with '.' or '-' characters (at least) in them.
> The normal way 'gv' is invoked is by the konqueror Web browser,
> either by left-clicking on a file link or by right-clicking
> on such a link and selecting 'gv' from the "Open With..." menu.
> Invoked one way, the temporary file is placed under the user's
> '.kde' directory; invoked another way, it's placed in a
> subdirectory of /tmp that has a '-' in the name.  Either way,
> 'gv' promptly bombs out.
>
> 	I've thought about this and decided this is probably
> 'gv's fault.  GhostScript has no business caring what characters
> are in a filename.

Hm, I can't reproduce it (KDE 3.1.1/FreeBSD 5.0/gv-3.5.8_3). I even
have files with "-" in their normal name, and I can view them by typing
"gv <filename>" in Konsole (that's my normal way), but also from
Konqueror with Right click/Open with, then 'gv', or left-click so it's
viewed with KGhostView. Had to specify gs somewhere or it wouldn't find
the interpreter. Can you do 'gv <filename>' from the Konsole where
filename is the temporary file name in .kde or /tmp? Any error messages?

Karel.