ports/50781: devel/php4 is missing

Ryan O'Neill ryanlists at hostbaby.com
Thu Apr 10 15:36:52 PDT 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 01:36 pm, Xavier Beaudouin wrote:
> And I think that lots of people are like me : asking theirself why this
> was removed ?

I'm pretty sure it was removed because of the changes the PHP guys made in the
4.3.x installation process.  By default, the mod_php4 port will install the
apache module *and* the CLI version of /usr/local/bin/php.  There is also a
CGI version of this binary (installed as the same name), which is impossible
to install via ports without editing the Makefile.  See here for more:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5c87221d.0302181422.67fc86eb%40posting.google.com

Regardless, i think we should definitely have a port for the php standalone
binary somewhere, since not everyone needs or wants apache.  And, ideally,
i'd like to see an option in mod_php4 or a separate port so i can install the
CGI version of the binary.

Course then someone has to decide: when to install PEAR, if the two separate
binaries will have different names, what ini file(s) will they read, etc.

--
HOSTBABY.COM - web hosting for musicians
Ryan O'Neill - ryan at hostbaby.com
http://www.hostbaby.com